Saudi Market Analysis and 2030 vision
- The increase in demand for prefabricated housing in the country, including manufactured housing & modular housing is driven by continued gains in housing demand across the country.
- The growth in the prefabricated buildings market is majorly due to the increasing construction activities across the country and the lack of affordable houses for expatriates working on ongoing development projects in Saudi Arabia.
- The growth of modular construction is high in remote and rural areas, which is expected to impact the overall market growth during the forecast period significantly.
- The residential construction industry in Saudi Arabia is facing a shortage of affordable housing because of a growing population and an influx of expatriates. This has encouraged the demand for prefabricated homes, as they are cost effective and time efficient.
- Prefabricated buildings are more eco-friendly than conventionally constructed buildings, as they do not generate any on-site waste. This is projected to positively influence the market demand in the upcoming years. Moreover, energy efficiency, design flexibility, and faster completion are some of the other advantages of prefabricated buildings, which are anticipated to drive market growth.
What is Modulines?
Modulines is a leading company in modular building technology in the Middle East, a subsidiary of Ayan Holding Group. The most important specialty is custom-designed modular constructions which are built in a factory and assembled at site.
In detail the company has the exclusive license in the Middle East and Africa for the modular building technology using the patented Fisher 3D Modular concrete structure system. The system is reviewed by the KPFF organization in the USA and has obtained the approval of the Ministry of Housing in Saudi Arabia along with the Saudi industrial Development Fund (SIDF). For the Kingdom’s project 2030 Modulines is one of the companies with which they can achieve these ambitions, bringing a significant change to the Saudi citizens.
The manufacturing plant
The factory design is unique in order to support the special precast element production:
- 2x external bays of 170 x 16 x 12 (h) m are placed 24x 3D moulds;
- a central bay of 170 x 16 x 12 (h) is used as service warehouse to deliver all the material (reinforcement, insulation, plumbings, amenities..) to the moulds of the 2 side halls;
- the modules, once completed, are automatically transported outside to the right side into the stockyard before they are delivered to the job site;
- on the other side there is a large capacity MCT batch plant with automatic deliver system through Flying Buckets;
- the concrete pouring is carried out through special MCT Casting Machines able to match the different moulds heights.
MCT Group Inc. has been selected as preferred supplier after several visits of reference plants with similar Precast production in USA and Italy. In fact, MCT Group Inc, the subsidiary of MCT Group, based in Reno, Nevada (USA), already implemented the same technology which impressed Ayan Holding representatives.
The Batch Plant is equipped with:
- automatic aggregates unloading system with primary hopper of 30 m3
- large aggregates storage of 640 ton of material divided into 8 bins
- double aggregates dosing system
- 2x planetary mixer 3750/2500 equipped with no. 2 outlets
- 2x 240 m/min high speed flying buckets controlled with industrial Wi-Fi
- 320x overhead rails for flying bucket
- 2x automatic casting machines
- waste water management treatment and re-use system
The high level of customization achieved by MCT Group Inc. played an important role with the result that the concrete production and delivery is totally tailor made on the specific request of Ayan for the specific design of the building and of the moulds.
The projects main features are:
- Total Land Area: 200,000 m2
- Expected Production Capacity: 20,000 m3/year
- Prefabricated integrated sub-assemblies e.g. Prefabricated Bathroom Units (PBUs), modular prefabricated Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) systems
- Prefabricated Prefinished Volumetric Construction (PPVC) modules
- 3D & PPVC Precast elements during job site installation
A never ending cooperation
Mr. Massimiliano Baglioni, Modulines Factory Manager, highlighted: “The biggest strength of the company is to follow a complete process under the highest quality standards and Saudi building code. Internal and external constructions are manufactured inside the factory, including plumbing, tiling floors and walls, painting, installing windows, doors, lighting, cookware, bathrooms, and cabinets. The value proposition of this technology is to achieve many of the construction processes in the factory, which guarantee high-quality standard, material control and reduction of the possibility of errors. The factory works 24/7 to significantly speed up delivery time and reduce construction loan charges for the developer, modular buildings can be built and delivered within weeks”.
Mr. Falchetti Gabriele, VP Business Development for MCT Group, pointed out the green solution adopted by Modulines: “The off-site construction process ensures less wastage and water usage during construction, the production process allows reduction of environmental impact and uses less energy. As the market progresses, it requires better materials, faster speeds, and more environmentally friendly practices”.
Next MCT Group Inc. goal is to support Modulines in the construction of a highly sophisticated production plant using 3D printing technology: 1.5 million homes is the Saudi Government target.